GETTING CONTENT INTO YOUR EMPTY COURSE SHELL
Instructions for the following can be found in our Faculty Help Guides site.
You have two options with an empty course shell:
- Copy content from a previous course
Access Importing Content into Your Course>Copying from another Canvas course
- Import and customize our Course Template
Access Templates>Importing the Course Template from Canvas Commons
GIVING STUDENTS ACCESS BEFORE THE SEMESTER BEGINS
In order for registered students to have access to your course two requirements must be met:
- It must be PUBLISHED.
- It must be on or after the start date of the course.
Start dates for courses are based on official dates for courses provided by the Registrar’s office.
If you would like students to be able to access your course before the first day of the semester, you will need to adjust the start date of the course.
INTEGRATING TURNITIN INTO CANVAS ASSIGNMENTS
You have the option of adding Turnitin plagiarism detection to assignments submitted through Canvas. Assignments will automatically be scanned and provide you with an originality percentage along with the student’s submission in SpeedGrader.
What you need to know about the integration:
- It only works with online submissions
- Students do not need to set up a separate account in Turnitin.
- You can access the full Originality report to review any alleged plagiarism
- Grading still occurs in SpeedGrader with Crocodoc.
- The Grademark features in Turnitin do not import into SpeedGrader, but you can save and download the file with the marks, and then upload as attachment in SpeedGrader.
- If you allow students to see their results, they access their Turnitin results by clicking on Grades.
KEEPING UP WITH CANVAS UPDATES
Canvas makes small changes to its system every three weeks. These include bug fixes, design changes, and feature enhancements.
Beginning Spring 2014, we will be provide three ways for you to learn about changes to Canvas:
- The CTL Blog
- Department Updates on the Portal
- Canvas Users Group meetings held monthly during the semester